Only promising companies and technologies are invited to present to the Telecom Council, and among these, some young companies stand out for their innovation, market opportunity, or quantifiable interest among the Council's 30+ global Service Providers including BT, China Mobile, DoCoMo, Orange, Reliance, Rogers, Sprint, Softbank, Swisscom, Tata, Telia, Verizon, US Cellular and many other fixed and wireless carriers from Europe, Asia, and North and South America listed on the Telecom Council website.
The SPIFFYS recognize 7 communications startups each year for their innovation, opportunity and promise.
SPIFFY nominees are selected by the carriers in Telecom Council's Service Provider Innovation Forum (SPIF) from among over 200 early-stage companies representing a broad range of telecom products and services who presented at Telecom Council meetings between July 2015 and June 2016.
This year, winners of the 9th Annual SPIFFY Awards will be announced by members of the Council's Service Provider Forum in a public ceremony during TC3: Telecom Council Carrier Connections Summit, September 28th at the Computer History Museum in Mountain View, Calif. Nominees will be joined by operators, vendors, investors, and many other startups at the SPIFFY Awards ceremony which is open to the public.
The 2016 nominees are…
The Graham Bell Award for Best Communication Solutions
Telecom is really about helping people communicate, historically that has meant connecting one with another, but now can mean connecting many with many, or connecting people to machines. This award recognizes the company that advanced the noble cause of improving telecommunications.
- 2600Hz - IaaS, mvno, application store
- AnchorFree- WiFi Security, WiFi offload, subscribers, application, scalable
- Lenderwize - Loyalty, Marketing, Crowdfunding, Fintech, APP
- PanTerra Networks - VoIP, cloud, unified communication, enterprise, collaboration, analytics
- ThinkCX Technologies, Inc. - Call centers, Predictive Analytics, loyalty, Social Intelligence
The Edison Award for Most Innovative Start-Up
Some ideas are so unusual they surprise you, but it's a small minority of these that are also likely to succeed. With this award, we recognize the startup that brings the most innovative ideas, but also the ability to successfully bring that idea to market.
- Big Switch Networks - NFV, SDN, hyperscale networking
- Pavilion Data Systems - storage, memory, networking
- Peel - digital entertainment, discovery, TV, video, remote control, software
- Phluido - software-defined radio, radio-as-a-service, virtualization, SDN, IP, fronthaul
- Tupl - Data, Analytics, OSS, network, operations
The San Andreas Award for Most Disruptive Technology
This award is for the most game-changing startup to present to the Telecom Council. It is offered to the company whose progress is most likely to disrupt markets and change the way people do things.
- LaaSer - 911, location, cloud, platform
- Loop AI Labs - fog computing, cognitive computing, deep learning, machine learning
- PayJoy - devices, financing, affordability, digital inclusion, financial inclusion
- Rebeless- 5G, RF processing, Spectrum, Whitespace, IoT, TD-LTE, Small Cells
- Silexica - multicore, testing, design
The Core Award for Best Fixed Telecom Opportunity
This award recognizes the best investment opportunity within the fixed telecom sector that we've seen at the SPIF Meeting in the past year.
- CUJO - security, firewall, connected home
- Notion - IoT, sensor, connected home
- NFWare - NFV, virtualization, networking, cloud, packet core
- Pensa Networks - testing, SDN, NFV, whitebox, virtualization
- ZeroDB - encryption, security, cloud, enterprise, big data
The Zephyr Award for Best Mobile Opportunity
This award recognizes the best investment opportunity within the mobile telecom sector that we've seen at the SPIF Meeting in the past year.
- Arrayent - IoT, connected products, cloud, retail
- Inhance Technology - Retention, Loyalty, Analytics, insurance, retail
- Open Garden - Mobile, connectivity, wi-fi, mesh networking
- ScreenMeet - collaboration, SaaS, SMBs, mobile enterprise
- Simless, Inc. - eSIM, authentication
The Ground Breaker Award for Engineering Excellence
This award is offered to the company that has produced the most impressive technological advancements. These are the firms who have invested in R&D, and have turned the gears of progress through sweat, tenacity, and a Costco account for Jolt and Mountain Dew.
- Atheer Inc.- augmented reality, smart glasses, wearables, remote collaboration
- MapD - Big Data, Database, GPU Powered Database, Business Intelligence, Data Visualization, Analytic
- Nephoscale - Openstack, infrastructure, open source software
- PHAZR - 5G, infrastructure, chip solutions
- Zeepabyte, Inc. - Real-time, IIoT, analytics, asset management, MNO BI
The Prodigy Award for the Most Successful SPIF Alumni
This award is given to the past SPIF presenting company that went on to achieve the most notable growth, market success or exit.
- Blue Coat Systems - network, security, cloud
- iControl Networks - connected home, smart home, home security, home automation, home control, IoT
- Nexmo - SMS & Voice APIs
- Parstream - database, real-time, big data, analytics
- Smaato - publishers, app developers, real-time advertising platform