All early-stage companies who are invited to present at a Telecom Council meeting have been identified as a promising telecom company. From among these, some young companies stand out for their innovation, market opportunity or quantifiable interest among the Council's 25+ global Service Providers including AT&T, British Telecom, DOCOMO, France Telecom/Orange, Swisscom, Verizon, Vodafone and many other fixed and wireless carriers from Europe, Asia, and North and South America.
At the SPIFFYs, we recognize, the best of the best.
Award winners were announced by members of the Council’s Service Provider Forum (including Rogers, Craig Wireless, Winnovation a Bouygues Telecom Company, Ericsson, JT Global, Telenor Innovation, T-Ventures, CableLabs, & Arent Fox) on the first evening of TC3 2015.
The 2015 SPIFFY Award Nominees will be selected by the Telecom Council’s Service Provider Forum (SPIF) from among nearly 200 early-stage companies representing the broad a range of telecom products and services who will have presented in Telecom Council meetings from June 2014 to May 2015.
The 2014 winners included...
- The Edison Award for Most Innovative Start-Up - Kumu Networks
Some ideas are so unusual they surprise you, but it’s a small minority of these that are also likely to succeed. With this award, we recognize the startup that brings the most innovative ideas, but also the ability to successfully bring that idea to market.
- The Ground Breaker Award for Engineering Excellence - Shared Spectrum Company
This award is offered to the company that has produced the most impressive technological advancements. These are the firms who have invested in R&D, and have turned the gears of progress through sweat, tenacity, and a Costco account for Jolt and Mountain Dew.
- The Graham Bell Award for Best Communication Solutions - Tarana Wireless
Telecom is really about helping people communicate, historically that has meant connecting one with another, but now can mean connecting many with many, or connecting people to machines. This award recognizes the company that advanced the noble cause of improving telecommunications.
- The San Andreas Award for Most Disruptive Technology - Connectem
This award is for the most game-changing startup to present to the Telecom Council. It is offered to the company whose progress is most likely to disrupt markets and change the way people do things.
- The Core Award for Best Fixed Telecom Opportunity - TRUSTID
This award recognizes the best investment opportunity within the fixed telecom sector that we’ve seen at the SPIF Meeting in the past year.
- The Zephyr Award for Best Mobile Opportunity - SpiderCloud Wireless
This award recognizes the best investment opportunity within the mobile telecom sector that we’ve seen at the SPIF Meeting in the past year.
- The Prodigy Award for the Most Successful SPiF Alumni - MobileIron
This award is given to the pre-2013 SPIF presenting company that went on to achieve the most notable growth, market success or exit.
- The Fred & Ginger Award for Most Supportive Carrier - BT
This award allows the SPIF startup companies to choose which SPIF carrier was overall the most responsive and supportive to the Silicon Valley entrepreneur community.
- The Yellow Brick Award for Supportive Vendor - Cisco
While the Yellow Brick Road is known as the path to success, the entrepreneur community knows the journey is more valuable than the destination. Chosen by our telco and startups, this award goes to a large company who actively supports young companies on their path to market.
- Sand Hill Award for Engaged Investor - Sequoia Capital
This award is a classic address for venture capital and is known as a source of funding and partnership that leads to startup success, attracting entrepreneurs from around the world. Chosen by over 100 telecom and mobile startups each year, our Sand Hill Award goes the VC who is adding the most value beyond money.
Past winners include:
Want to get your startup eligible for a SPIFFY Award? Apply here to present to the Telecom Council carriers.
- Graham Bell: Range Networks
- Edison: SIGFOX
- San Andreas: SmartThings
- Core: 2600hz
- Zephyr: Quixey
- Ground Breaker: Jibe Mobile
- Prodigy: Violin Memory
- Fred & Ginger: Orange
- Graham Bell: Blue Jeans Network
- Edison: Plex
- San Andreas: Bridgewave Communications
- Core: Cloudscaling
- Zephyr: Devicescape
- Ground Breaker: Expertmaker
- Prodigy: Ruckus Wireless
- Fred & Ginger: Bouygues Telecom
- Graham Bell: Aegis Mobility
- Edison: Motally
- San Andreas: AirHop Communications
- Core: Lithium Technologies
- Zephyr: BOKU
- Ground Breaker: Violin Memory
- Prodigy: Swype
- Fred & Ginger: Sprint
- Graham Bell: Funambol
- Edison: Lithium Technologies
- San Andreas: Micro Power
- Core: Edgewater Networks
- Zephyr: Gogobeans
- Ground Breaker: Cooliris
- Prodigy: 4Home
- Fred & Ginger: Verizon Wireless
- Graham Bell: Trutap
- Edison: 4Home
- San Andreas: Bling Software
- Core: Brilliant Telecom
- Zephyr: Bling Software
- Ground Breaker: Morpho
- Prodigy: 2Wire
- Fred & Ginger: Swisscom
- Graham Bell: Jajah
- Edison: Loopt
- San Andreas: Sling Media
- Core: Adzilla
- Zephyr: Obopay
- Ground Breaker: Ruckus Wireless
- Prodigy: Sling Media
- Fred & Ginger: British Telecom