All early-stage companies who are invited to present at a Telecom Council meeting have been identified as a promising telecom company. From among these, some young companies stand out for their innovation, market opportunity or quantifiable interest among the Council's 25+ global Service Providers including AT&T, British Telecom, DOCOMO, France Telecom/Orange, Swisscom, Verizon, Vodafone and many other fixed and wireless carriers from Europe, Asia, and North and South America.
At the SPIFFYs, we recognize, the best of the best.
Award winners will be announced by members of the Council’s Service Provider Forum in a public ceremony, on the first evening of TC3.
The 2014 SPIFFY Award Nominees are selected by the Telecom Council’s Service Provider Forum (SPIF) from among nearly 200 early-stage companies representing the broad a range of telecom products and services who presented in Telecom Council meetings from June 2013 to May 2014.
And the 2014 nominees are...
- The Edison Award for Most Innovative Start-Up - Presented by Robert Switzman, VP of Innovation for Rogers
Some ideas are so unusual they surprise you, but it’s a small minority of these that are also likely to succeed. With this award, we recognize the startup that brings the most innovative ideas, but also the ability to successfully bring that idea to market.
- The Ground Breaker Award for Engineering Excellence - Presented by Boyd Craig, Founder of Craig Wireless
This award is offered to the company that has produced the most impressive technological advancements. These are the firms who have invested in R&D, and have turned the gears of progress through sweat, tenacity, and a Costco account for Jolt and Mountain Dew.
Shared Spectrum Company
- The Graham Bell Award for Best Communication Solutions - Presented by Frederic Gerard, CEO of Winnovation a Bouygues Telecom Company
Telecom is really about helping people communicate, historically that has meant connecting one with another, but now can mean connecting many with many, or connecting people to machines. This award recognizes the company that advanced the noble cause of improving telecommunications.
Eden Rock Communications,
- The San Andreas Award for Most Disruptive Technology - Presented by Albert Kim, VP of Strategic Investments for Ericsson
This award is for the most game-changing startup to present to the Telecom Council. It is offered to the company whose progress is most likely to disrupt markets and change the way people do things.
- The Core Award for Best Fixed Telecom Opportunity - Presented by Mark Stuchifield, VP Bus Dev for JT Global
This award recognizes the best investment opportunity within the fixed telecom sector that we’ve seen at the SPIF Meeting in the past year.
- The Zephyr Award for Best Mobile Opportunity - Presented by Arne Hallvard, for Telenor Innovation
This award recognizes the best investment opportunity within the mobile telecom sector that we’ve seen at the SPIF Meeting in the past year.
- The Prodigy Award for the Most Successful SPiF Alumni - Presented by Bernard Gold, Managing Director at T-Ventures
This award is given to the pre-2013 SPIF presenting company that went on to achieve the most notable growth, market success or exit.
- The Fred & Ginger Award for Most Supportive Carrier - Presenter TBA
This award allows the SPIF startup companies to choose which SPIF carrier was overall the most responsive and supportive to the Silicon Valley entrepreneur community.
- The Yellow Brick Award for Supportive Vendor - Presented by David Barron, Head of Corp Bus Dev at CableLabs
While the Yellow Brick Road is known as the path to success, the entrepreneur community knows the journey is more valuable than the destination. Chosen by our telco and startups, this award goes to a large company who actively supports young companies on their path to market.
Ericsson Silicon Valley,
Qualcomm Research Silicon Valley
- Sand Hill Award for Engaged Investor - Presenter TBA
This award is a classic address for venture capital and is known as a source of funding and partnership that leads to startup success, attracting entrepreneurs from around the world. Chosen by over 100 telecom and mobile startups each year, our Sand Hill Award goes the VC who is adding the most value beyond money.
Nokia Growth Partners,
Past winners include:
||Blue Jeans Network
|Fred & Ginger
Want to get your startup nominated for a SPIFFY Award? Apply here to present to the Telecom Council carriers.